Monday, November 7, 2011

Still exploring the usefullness of chat

OK, so I think I may have found a version of chatting that might actually provide some opportunity for learning. Below is the  link to the transcript of a webinar on training hybrid educators.  People sign up and list questions then the moderator asks the questions and, in this case, two individuals with experience answer the questions.  It is not really a chat since it is heavily moderated and is not really a dialogue between people.  Still, the format provides limited participation and leaves a very readable and understandable transcript that allows for non participants to learn from the event.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/events/chats/2011/11/02/index.html

3 comments:

  1. I have been having trouble lately with chats. Both an edchat and a kinderchat were completely garbled and there were many #inappropriatechat comments. This sounds like a useful approach that you have stumbled upon. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually only participate in #edchat chats on Tuesdays. The participation for this is very large and I do understand the frustration with the rapid pace of the conversation. I often see people who retweet what was said in the chat days later, which I believe means they are slowing the process down by looking at the transcripts and reflecting afterward. Also, there are some people who blog about the chats themselves, which is also helpful. Thanks for sharing Susan, I really appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually went to the site and learned something about Hybrid learning! thanks Susan for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete