Sunday, October 2, 2011

Creating My PLN


I have actually had a skeletal PLN for a while now.  I scan and archive a lot of information weekly from it.  However, I do not put much out.  The vast majority of my professional life would have been much less tumultuous if I had just thought rather than spoke or wrote the last sentence.  As I have grown older I have come to admire people who can keep their passion and enthusiasm in check.  Calm, cool, rational non confrontational individuals who quietly sit, observe, and keep their opinions largely to themselves. Thank God I married (finally) a person like that.  Without Ed I would have self destructed or someone would have killed me by now. 

I have moved from the “Castrating Bitch” of high tech to someone who is definitely conflict adverse.  Even now when I do offer an opinion it almost inevitably results in unpleasantries.   I have often wondered if it is passion for my ideas and beliefs, arrogance (I normally am pretty well read and informed), or just a innate bitchyness.  Whatever it is, it brings unwanted consequences.
I still often loose it.  Something or someone goads me and I instinctively, without thinking it through, react.  Self control remains an opportunity for improvement.
With Twitter all there is that last sentence. It is a very powerful medium. I do not know how to tweet regularly, spontaneously and not piss people off.  The world, and certainly education, does not need more pissed off people.  I absolutely do not need more people pissed off at me.

Still I Diggo, follow selected people on Twitter, and very occasionally share.  I wish Twitter wasn’t all or nothing.  It would feel safer if I could tweet to groups of people.  I would love just to Tweet to my JDP network.  We have established group protocols and a level of trust that is much more understanding and mutually supportive then the public at large.

Membership is helpful I am a member of ASCD, AERA, NCME, NSTA, NCTM, CUE, ISTE and a few I have probably forgotten.

I know I need to develop a professional online presence.  I need a web page with online resume.  I need to create and update profiles on the NBCT network websites (national and local) and the Accomplished California Teachers websites.  I should probably assemble my Linkedn page.  It all just takes time and none of it is as pressing as lesson plans, homework, and, most important for me right now, research.

No comments:

Post a Comment